Thursday, June 3, 2010

Refocusing..

Today my boss told me this story and I really loved it! 

Back when he was at the MTC he had a teacher ask all of the missionaries to write a list of all the reasons they were going on a mission. Ganon said his list was something like:
1. Learn a new language
2. Live in a different country
3. Gain a stronger testimony
4. Preach the Gospel

And he thought it was a pretty good list. Later on, after he had been in Argentina for about 4 months, he thought back to that teacher and that list and realized just how stupid his reasons sounded. He didn't need to be on a mission to accomplish any of those things. He could have done everything on that list in a lot easier ways than going on a mission, because the truth is, missions are tough. This is when he realized the only reason he was on a mission, the only reason he had not given up and gone home months ago was not even on his list. And that was 'because he knew that Argentina and a mission was exactly where the Lord wanted him, and needed him, and that was what he was supposed to be doing'

Yes, the mission is going to be hard. Learning a language. Living in a foreign country. Getting rejected, and doors slammed. Trying to teach. Missing my family. Missing my friends. Not ever having alone time. Being constantly tired. Yes. All this is going to be rough, BUUUT I know that is where the Lord wants me to be. I know in the long run I will only be a better person because of this experience. I know that i can help people, and bring joy into their lives. And that is all that matters. That is all I should be thinking about. 
Today I feel good. Today I am re-focused. I will no longer let anything get in my way/discourage me from doing what the Lord has planned.

3 comments:

  1. your going to change peoples lives for the better! your going to make people feel alive and happy again. all your hard work will so be worth it. your going to be SO amazing, i just know it! you have nothing to worry about, your gonna be the best missionary :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is one of those posts that makes me want to climb on top of a mountain and go YEEEESSS!! life is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You inspire me. :) I'm glad you know you're in a place the Lord wants you to be. :)

    ReplyDelete