Monday, April 26, 2010

Since I grew a foot or two, I now have been called on a mission!

So the news everyone has been waiting for.  ***Drum Roll please ***
 I have been called to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Chile Osorno Mission, reporting on August 18. I will be teaching in the Spanish language. I am so excited!
 I got the envelope in the mail Thursday morning but my parents wanted to come down and be here for me when I opened it so I had to wait until Saturday afternoon. I had to keep myself super busy Friday so I wouldn’t think about it, luckily I was moving out of my apartment so I had a lot to do, but I am very glad I waited. We went up to Marie’s house where Marie had put together so much food, sandwiches, salads,chips, brownies, so delicious, and there was a bunch of family there. Grandma Moss, Grandma and Grandpa Beazer, Holly and fam, and Kelly and fam were all there to support me! It was especially nice to have my parents there, it was really special to be able to see their reactions and get a hug instead of just doing it over the phone.


When I first opened it and was reading, I was thinking less about the words I was reading but more "don’t just skip to the place Emily, read word for word", it was hard, and then my dad skipped ahead behind me and says woow before I even got there! Hahaha My first thought was surprised/shocked/excited/how do i say osorno! I hadn’t even thought about Chile before so I was excited to go somewhere new. My next thought was YES Spanish speaking!! That is what I really wanted so Elliott and I could talk to each other. All I really wanted to do after that was go google Chile, but I resisted and called up all my friends, talked with my family etc.

But now I was able to get a little bit of information.
There are 9 missions in Chile, the Osorno Chile mission covers the whole southern half. The Osorno Mission is the red. There are about 4 missions in Santiago, the Conception mission and others up north.
I have been trying to figure out the weather there but I don’t really know still, from what I read Osorno doesn’t get above 90 and doesn’t go below 32 and rainy, kinda like Washington I figure, but I think the farther south I get the colder it will get as well. I also read that it gets really windy at night, that is going to be excited. From what I hear the food is wonderful, and the people are awesome! So that is really encouraging!

The church in Chile is pretty strong, they just hit the 100 stakes mark, there is a temple in Santiago, and another was announced to be built in Conception. Apparently only about 20% of the members are actually active so Im assuming I will do a lot of re-activating of the saints.

I am so excited for this opportunity and experience. I know the Chile is where the Lord needs me and I cannot wait to go serve there. And I am excited that I will be looking at sites like this for 18 months (well like 16 minus the mtc).
The Osorno Volcano





Why yes, there are penguins in my mission!! Cool huh. Chantel says I have to hug one.

I don't really know what to expect, and it doesn't quite feel real yet but it feels good and right! Now I just have all summer to earn money, prepare, and play with my friends! : )




3 comments:

  1. That is so cool Emily! You're going to be so amazing!!! I'm so happy for you =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me so happy! :) You are gonna be one hot missionary! and the funnest companion anyone could ever dream of!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Emily! That is awesome. Sorry we missed the big opening ... wish we could have been there. That is sooOOoo exciting.

    ReplyDelete